The alternative to drugs.
Living with Autoimmune diseases, not being able to always get relief from muscle pain, I have chosen to try several avenues. Many of you may have used or are thinking of using these products yourself. For me, it is an alternative to increasing my meds which have more side effects that I really want to know about.
Tens Units and How they work
TENS stands for (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation), which are predominately used for pain relief and the treatment of pain and nerve related pain conditions (acute and chronic conditions). TENS machines work by sending electronic stimulating pulses across the surface of the skin and along the nerve strands. Tens units have different adjustable settings to control the amplitude (intensity) of stimulation by controlling the voltage. Current, and pulse width (duration) of each pulse.
Electrodes are placed at specific sites on a user’s body depending on the physical location of their pain. The current travels through electrodes and into the skin stimulating specific nerve pathways to produce a tingling or massaging sensation that reduces the perception of pain. When a Tens Unit is used as directed a T.E.N.S. is a safe, noninvasive, drug-free method of pain management. A Tens Unit is used to offer a better quality of life for people with pain. There are two ways to explain how a T.E.N.S. successfully decreases or eliminates pain.
One of these theories is called The Gate Control Theory and is the most advanced explanation. The gate-control theory suggests that there’s a neural mechanism in the spinal cord that acts as a kind of gate, shutting down or opening up the flow of signals from the periphery to the brain. Whether the gate is open, closed or partially closed depends on what sort of signal it receives from the brain to change the perception of pain in the user’s body. These frequencies interfere with the transmission of pain messages at the so spinal cord level and help block their transmission to the brain.
Another theory is called The Endorphin Release, which suggests that electrical impulses stimulate the production of endorphins and enkephalins in the body. These natural morphine-like substances block pain messages from reaching the brain, in a similar fashion to conventional drug therapy, but without the danger of dependence on other side effects.
T.E.N.S. is used by hundreds of thousands of people all over the world for the relief of physical pain. This is why hundreds of doctors, nurses, and patient technicians often recommend that their patients use s T.E.N.S. unit for minor and major pain relief. The most trusted source for medical information for doctors and health professionals is the Merck manual. The Merck manual suggests Tens Therapy for Pain Relief
Personally, I have used the Tens Unit Machine. It was somewhat helpful. It did stimulate the muscles and subside some of my pain. I did not care for having to “hook up” to it with the electrodes as I found it uncomfortable at times. However, my friends that use it for their pain and received awesome relief.
The units I am listing below can be found on Amazon. This is not an exhausted listing. Please be sure to check with your Physician before starting any type of new treatments. I do receive a commission if the reader makes a purchase. I have not listed them in any order, but this first one is the one that I have tried. It is also the one that my friends have used and are very pleased with.
Price:$27.49 Received 4 1/2 star rating from 7,877 reviews: Amazon Choice
- Buttons are clearly labelled with words like “Neck”, “Shoulder”,”Back”, “Elbow”, “Hip”, “Ankle”,”Knee”, “Foot/Hand”, “Wrist”,not “Pulse-Width”, or “Waveform.” The large LCD display with newly featured backlight shows you at a glance exactly what you need for your targeted area, including the type of massage”Knead, Acu (Acupuncture), Tap, Cupping, Scraping (Gusha), Random” and the time left on the cycle.
- New Features: 15 modes, easy to select the right button to help pain relief, belt clip makes it portable. High Intensity – 4 outputs can output the same 20 levels of intensity, no matter you use 1 output or 4 outputs at the same time without dividing the strength by 8 pads.
- Effective – 9 Auto Stimulation Programs, Fully-adjustable Speed & Intensity, 6 Selectable Massage Settings, High-Frequency Pulses to Provide Pain Relief.
Price:$39.97 Five star ratings from 13 reviews
The Therapeutix TENS unit electronic massager is designed for a clinical setting with strength and quality in mind. With this FDA-Approved unit, you have the freedom of therapeutic massage and pain relief anytime you desire.
Therapeutix Tens Massager has dual channels which allow the use of 4 electrodes simultaneously to greater maximize pain relief in half the time. Each channel controls 2 pads independently allowing the placement of the pads in different problematic areas. (4 pcs High-Quality Electrode Pads included; Replacement pads sold separately).
The RX6 model comes fully charged out the box and ready to use for quick and easy pain relief. The Therapeutix Tens Massager comes with built-in batteries that are rechargeable, saving you time and money without the need to purchase batteries or having to be connected to a wall outlet while receiving pain relief.
The RX6 unit has an LCD screen that displays your treatment and intensity selection, including the 6 types of massage “Tuina, Acupuncture, Tapping, Cupping, Foot Reflexology or Micro Therapy” and total 6 Auto Procedure modes. Providing a wide range of message types creates optimal results in pain relief.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is proven to be a natural & most effective method to relieve the pain without medicine.
Several videos from actual customeThe Therapeutix TENS unit electronic massager is designed for a clinical setting with strength and quality in mind. With this FDA-Approved unit, you have the freedom of therapeutic massage and pain relief anytime you desire.
Price:$69.95 Five star ratings from 763 customers; Is an Amason Choice
- 2 in 1: iReliev TENS + EMS Combination Unit Combines Two Therapies in 1 device.
- WHAT IS TENS?: Stands for “Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation”- a safe, non-invasive, drug-free method of pain relief used by Physical Therapists and prescribed Doctors for over 30 years. The iReliev Bundle delivers low-voltage pulses to the skin to stimulate nerve fibers effectively blocking the pain signal to your brain. Also increases natural endorphins–a natural pain reliever. You can say GOODBYE to those pain pills that have been dulling your life!
- 14 Therapy Modes: 7 TENS Pain Relief Modes, 1 Arthritis TENS Mode & 6 EMS Muscle Strength & Recovery Mode
WHAT IS EMS? : Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) also known as neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) is the elicitation of muscle contraction using electrical impulses. EMS has the potential to serve as a strength training and rehab tool as well as offer post-exercise recovery benefits for athletes.
Price:$25.09 Received 4 3/4 stars from 5,312 reviews
The TENS 7000 is a leading over-the-counter tens unit and has been proven effective in providing pain relief. Now you can get the same kind of therapy used by doctors and physical therapists without a prescription.
With dual channel functionality, the TENS 7000 allows you to surround your pain with two or four electrode pads. The pulse amplitude, or intensity level, is adjustable from 0-100mA in 10mA increments, which is controlled by the respective knobs located at the top of the device, for both channels. With the TENS 7000, you have complete control over timing, pulse, intensity, and more.
Price:$27.49 Received 4 1/2 stars from 2,037 reviews. Amazon Choice
- 1 pair of snap-on long life pads (random color: White, Blue, or Orange) WHAT IS IT? – A 4-leads wire allows the use of 4 pads with a single output, unlike our dual leads wires that come with each device. This allows two additional pads to be used with your HealthmateForever device. HealthmateForever HM8ML tens unit is the upgrade version of HM6ML, which has two more modes (FOOT and LEG). It is a lithium battery powered muscle stimulation system that helps to relieve minor aches and pains.
- 8 preprogrammed massage like modes in a flower design: Tuina (Push & Pull), Acupuncture, Foot, Tapping, Leg, Cupping, Back, and Combination. Adjustable 10-60 minute timer by using “T” button, Simultaneous dual output design, allows 6 pads to be applied to the two different targeted areas at the same time; Rechargeable internal lithium battery – up to 10 hours of continuous use.
- 20 levels of adjustable intensity (strength), you can use “+” button to increase intensity (strength) or “-” button to decrease intensity (strength) of mode; Easy to read animated backlit LCD Display; A pause button (center button) you can click in less than a second if an emergency happens.
- EFFECTIVE – The advanced technology sends out multiple preset electrical therapeutic waves through the electrodes. These waves stimulate the combination of deep tissue pain relief techniques and various muscle movements, relieving muscle tension; this unit is lightweight and portable, you can stimulate your nerves and muscles and relax your body-anytime anywhere; drug-free; the large LCD display with newly featured backlight shows you at a glance exactly what you need for your targeted mode.
WHY CHOOSE US? – HealthmateForever is the #1 brand for the pain relief device, which has exceeded 50 kinds of Tens Unit on Amazon; More than 10 thousand 5 stars customer reviews in all on Amazon; High quality – doctor recommended; Portable and easy to use; 100 percent drug-free; Safe and effective for home use.
Other types of home treatments for pain.
With new technology in the medical pain therapy field, there are many types of home treatments. Everything from Laser light, ultrasound and more. Ultrasound is a type of treatment that Physicians, Physical Therapist, Chiropractors all use.
How does ultrasound work?
When patients are recovering from an injury or chronic condition, physical therapy can help restore function and improve quality of life. However, as powerful as physical therapy is, it can be a time-consuming practice which is dependent on a patient’s ability to adhere to their physical therapy schedule and home exercise programs. When a patient experiences pain, they need access to alternative pain methods, like therapeutic ultrasound, that can be utilized both as part of their physical therapy program, either in the office or at home.
Patients with acute and chronic pain often seek out pain relief methods for immediate relief. Some of these methods include oral pain medication, which can include opioids. Opioid use comes with a certain risk of negative side effects which includes: sedation, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, constipation, physical dependence, tolerance, and respiratory depression. Practitioners can help educate patients on alternative pain relieving modalities. Innovations have led to the creation of several clinical grade modalities that can be used for practitioners who perform at-home treatments and by patients for use at home to help reduce their pain. One of these modalities which can be beneficial for use at home is ultrasound therapy.
THE BEST ULTRASOUND THERAPY/ELECTRICAL STIMULATION DEVICES FOR HOME USE
- ComboCare: The ComboCare Combination Therapy Device is an innovative and affordable device that includes 5 electrotherapy waveforms which can be used separately or in combination with ultrasound or additional waveform, for maximum therapeutic applications. The Combo Care Ultrasound Combo device was designed for easy portability and with 50 electrical stimulation, presets and 20 ultrasound presets, it’s easy to set up and can begin to give relief to patients immediately.
- Intensity Cx4: Top of the line, Intensity Cx4 was designed for both portable and clinical use. Featuring both four-channel electrotherapy and therapeutic ultrasound, the Cx4 is simple to use with an easy set-up of treatment parameters and the ability to store up to 99 favorite protocols for future use. Increasing its clinical applications, practitioners can treat up to three patients at once to improve treatment efficiency. The Intensity Cx4 is designed to offer 4 channels of independent stimulation which can be used in combination (linked) or solo to improve treatment outcomes.
- Chattanooga Transport: The Chattanooga Transport is the most comprehensive ultrasound therapy combination machine available on the market today. In addition to 2 channels of electrotherapy output and four waveforms, the Chattanooga Transport offers both continuous and pulsed treatments to offer relief to patients with diverse conditions and injuries. One of the most unique features of the Chattanooga Transport is that it comes with watertight, waterproof soundhead applicators, so practitioners can help provide treatment in addition to hydrotherapy. While the Chattanooga unit comes with an easy to use 5cm sound head applicator, the unit can also be used with corresponding applicators available in the following sizes: 1cm, 2cm, and 10cm, to give a practitioner’s the ability to choose the best applicator to provide targeted treatment depending on their patient’s individual needs.
- Ultrasound therapy is a wide-reaching, which can be used to provide in-home relief for diverse patients and conditions, including:
- Chronic and acute low back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Post-ACL repair
- Osteoarthritis & Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Frozen Shoulder
- And more
- Things to Consider When Using Ultrasound Therapy for Home Use
- Choose a machine with a soundhead applicator best suited to the area of treatment. For example, smaller soundhead applicators are great for smaller, bonier areas of the body like knees and elbows.
- Always be prepared with ultrasound gel to provide the safest and most effective treatment.
- With electrical stimulation, be prepared with needed supplies such as electrodes, wires, and straps
- Choose ultrasound modes depending on a patient’s needs: continuous ultrasound therapy creates a deeper thermal effect which helps decrease muscle spasms and can be used to treat deeper tissue issues and injuries or pulsing therapy which is appropriate for treating trigger points and closer surface injuries.
- Keep track of treatment parameters by programming into the ultrasound devices programmable library and with accurate charting.
The prices of Tens machines vary from inexpensive to $$$ of dollars. In my investigation, you should be able to get a very good quality at a reasonable price. My personal choice is the brand HealthMate Forever. They received the top choice awards from Amazon customers and the highest ratings. The best warranties, customer service ratings are high and best satisfaction.
It is my understanding that you do need some training to use the Ultrasound machines. My encounters with Ultrasound has been great. The treatments were performed by my Physical Therapist. I got relief and softening of the tight muscles. Please consult your doctor BEFORE using any treatments.
What are YOU waiting for? Take control by learning more here.
It is my goal to inspire others by helping them find comfort and relief for their daily life. Please leave me your thoughts and reviews on my post. I would greatly appreciate it and look forward to hearing if this works for you.