Why the Patch?
For years it seemed that the only way to get relief from my pain was to either take another pill, use a hot/cold compress or just tuff it out. There didn’t seem to be any real relief other than those over the counter options. These also took time for the pain to subside, sometimes as long as 45 minutes depending on the severity.
My doctor suggested I try Lidocaine patches. Going to my local pharmacy to have my prescription filled, I learned that the cost would be between $250 – $300. My insurance would not cover this cost as there were cheaper treatment options. Wow! that really put a damper on things. That is when I learned about “over the counter” patches. While not as strong as the prescription, they can provide some level of relief.
What is Lidocaine?
Let’s find out what Lidocaine really is. According to the internet Wikipedia:
Lidocaine, also known as xylocaine and lignocaine, is a medication used to numb tissue in a specific area (local anesthetic). It is also used to treat ventricular tachycardia and to perform nerve blocks. Lidocaine mixed with a small amount of adrenaline (epinephrine) is available to allow larger doses for numbing, to decrease bleeding, and to make the numbing effect last longer. When used as an injectable, it typically begins working within four minutes and lasts for half an hour to three hours. Lidocaine mixtures may also be applied directly to the skin or mucous membranes to numb the area.
Common side effects with intravenous use include sleepiness, muscle twitching, confusion, changes in vision, numbness, tingling, and vomiting. It can cause low blood pressure and an irregular heart rate. There are concerns that injecting it into a joint can cause problems with the cartilage. It appears to be generally safe for use in pregnancy. A lower dose may be required in those with liver problems. It is generally safe to use in those allergic to tetracaine or benzocaine. Lidocaine is an antiarrhythmic medication of the class Ib type. Lidocaine works by blocking sodium channels and thus decreasing the rate of contractions of the heart. When it is used locally as a numbing agent, local neurons cannot signal the brain.
Here is my review of 4 patch products.
These are not in any specific order. Some I have tried and will indicate this in my review. But what can work for one person may or may not work for another. You may want to purchase a couple of different ones to be sure which will work the best for you.
Before using these or any other over the counter (OTC) medications, please be sure to check with your health professional. Never try new medications without the valuable expert advice of medical professionals!
- 8 hours of relief
- Maximum strength
- Desensitizes aggravated nerves
- Very good sticking ability. These patches adhere to the skin well and are sticky enough so that they don’t fall off even with continuous movement.
- The pain relief max effects last about six to eight house which makes the patches a bit longer lasting than many other lidocaine patches.
- Compared to prescription lidocaine patches, these ones are very affordable.
- They take some time to kick in. You should wait about an hour to feel the full effects of these pads.
- The effects vary from person to person. Unfortunately, some people experience only some pain relief while others feel strong pain relief.
- Maximum Amount of LIdocaine Available without a Prescription*
- Targets More Pain Receptors than any other OTC Topical Analgesics**
- Odor Free
- Numbs Away Pain with No Irritation and No Burning
- Maximum pain relief effect lasts from six to eight hours although some users experience pain relief to extend to as much as twelve hours.
- Some of the least expensive lidocaine patches that you can buy over the counter.
- The material is durable, breathable and flexible according to many users.
- Aren’t as sticky as many other lidocaine patches. These patches tend to fall off more easily with exercise or movement
- Might not be strong enough for chronic or severe pain. These patches work well for people who have sore or aching muscles but if the pain is severe, prescription medication might be needed.
- Health Care
- Analgesics-Pain Relief
- Lidocaine your pain. With New Icy Hot Lidocaine Patch. Two active ingredients – menthol and lidocaine. Relieves pain fast.
- Powerful pain relief. Most people know Icy Hot for its powerful pain numbing balm. The patches are arguably just as effective.
- These patches have a fast pain relief effect relative to some other pain relief patches. Some users claim to feel almost instant pain relief upon application.
- Long lasting pain relief. Icy Hot patches full effect lasts about 8 hours but of course, you still will likely experience pain relief for hours after.
- These patches are a tad more expensive than some other pain relief patches and creams.
- These patches have a distinct smell of menthol since menthol is an active ingredient. Some don’t really mind this side effect while others are bothered by it.
4. Lidocare Arm, Neck and Leg Pain Relief Patch
- Lidocare back and shoulder pain relief patches with 4 percent lidocaine are odor free and provide localized and targeted temporary pain relief
- Lidocare patches apply easily and mess-free and are water resistant
- Lidocare patches are ultra-flexible-they’re perfect for whether you’re done for the day or still on the go
- Enjoy the maximum amount of lidocaine-based temporary pain relief now available over the counter with lidocare
- Lidocare temporary pain relief patches are also available in ergonomic half-sizes for more targeted temporary pain relief in the arm, neck or leg
- These lidocaine pain relief patches are some of the most affordable patches you can buy over the counter relative to other pain relief patches
- Unlike some lidocaine pain relief patches that contain menthol, these patches have no off-putting odor
- Even though they are inexpensive, these patches are still durable. They are even water resistant however you should not be showering while wearing these pads.
- According to many users, these patches simply aren’t as powerful as some other lidocaine patches you can buy over the counter
- Some people claim that the pain relief can be effective but does not last as long as creams or other patches.
My personal favorite is the Salon Pas. They gave me the best relief plus stayed on my skin the best. I would highly recommend trying these. They also were the best price on Amazon where you can purchase them in 2 -4 box sets. These came out quite a lot cheaper than what I was paying at my local store.
I hope this has helped with your decisions on what may be the best for you. I would be most appreciative if you would leave comments about this article. Also, I am an affiliate member of Amazon and will receive credit on your purchase if you choose to click on any of the above products. Again, I recommend that you talk with your medical professional before starting any new treatments. Be sure to read the customers reviews for your product choice.